Monday, April 9, 2012

The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian





Book: The Sandcastle Girls

Author: Chris Bohjalian

Release date (if applicable): July 17, 2012


Synopsis: The story of a young woman who goes to Syria in WWI during the time of the Armenian genocide in a philanthropic effort, the man with whom she falls in love with and how the past interacts or interferes with the present.


My rating: 5 Stars


My opinion: I loved this book. In my opinion, this is Bohjalian's finest novel to date. Although, I have not read them all, I think I have read enough to make that judgement call. Let me just say when I downloaded the book to my Adobe Digital Editions, I got sucked into the storyline so fast that it never made it to my Nook. Another absolute winner for Bohjalian. I read this book in about 4 hours, sitting at my desk on my laptop, and having to take breaks. The characters, setting and storyline were all superbly written in his classic fashion. CB is one of those authors that the more I read his works, the more I love his writing.


I had the chance to "speak" with CB when he "friended" me on Goodreads after reading my review of this book. I am paraphrasing because if I go into too deeply what he stated, I will be heading into spoilerland and this is not what this blog is about, but he explained that it took him about 20 years to write this book. That, although he didn't consider this his best book (I vehemently disagreed with him and felt that it was some humility popping up) that it is his most important book. Also, he stated that he is very similar to one of the characters in the book, but the reader of this review will need to guess which one! ;)

Would I Recommend? : Good Lord, Yes!!

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment