Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Last Hundred Days by Patrick McGuinness


Book: The Last Hundred Days: A Novel

Author: Patrick McGuinness

Release date (if applicable): Released

Synopsis: An English teacher moves to Ceausescu's Romania sight unseen and gets wrapped up in the politics and occurrences of Nicolai Ceausescu's last 100 days.

My rating:  3 Stars

My opinion: This book was right up my alley. I thought it was intelligently written, unusual and loved the combination of historical facts wrapped up in a fictional storyline. I can see the validity in other book reviewers who have called this book dry.  It does have a tendency to be dry and depressing in the description of Romania during the period of time that it is set in. I have heard this book called "dark" but one must remember when the book was set. I did have a difficult time with that, but found that is actually what kept my fascination with the book.   I have not come across a large number of fictional books written during the time of Nicolai Ceausescu and Romanian history.

Source: Netgalley for Bloomsbury

Would I recommend? : Yes, for more advanced readers or for readers who have a love of history or political theater. I think readers who lean towards the standard big house writers will find this book boring.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment