Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Whispering Tides by Guido Mattioni


Book: Whispering Tides

Author: Guido Mattioni

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Upon the sudden death of his beloved wife, 50 year old Alberto leaves Milan, Italy for Savannah, Georgia, a place that he and his wife had relished together. Alberto uses a move to Savannah to work through the grief and confusion of his loss.

My rating: 4.5 Stars

My opinion: Hmmm, to be honest, I think this is one of the most unusual books that I have read this year. Mattioni writes a very deep book relating to the grief of his main character, yet is able to keep it light. You can feel his grief from your fingertips to the tips of your toes, yet his character and the supporting characters have that deep south charm and wit that I happen to love about the South.

The only thing that kept throwing me off was that Mattioni kept throwing in references to the historical South. Some I think fit into the story line and some I kept asking myself what the point was. This was also the reason this book wasn't a 5 star read.

I can put this book on the list of works on why I prefer Indie authors over Big House Publishing. I think it is also a prime example of what those who are closed minded to the works of indie authors  are missing. This book was incredibly unique in its' presentation and I think the author showed talent to present two levels of storyline...A charming one on the top level to warm the hearts of the readers while capturing the pain, hurt and loss of Alberto in the "sub level". I think if he would have chosen to write this book in any other method, he would be missing a critical component.

Source: Author provided

Would I recommend? : Yes, in fact I already have.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment