Monday, July 9, 2012

On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves



Book: On the Island

Author: Tracey Garvis Graves

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: During an airplane ride to a dream job tutoring  16 year old cancer survivor, T.J. Callahan, in the Maldives, teacher Anna Emerson and TJ are forced into survival mode when the pilot of the small plane suffers a fatal heart attack and the end up on a remote island. Will they survive and make it off this desolate island? Will they maintain their teacher/student relationship or will the isolation lead to new passions, possibly forbidden passions?

My rating: 4 stars

My opinion: Who says Twitter marketing doesn't work??? I came across this book originally by a tweet. I threw it into my Amazon cart to be purchased the next day and went in to find it gone!! Lo and behold, three days later I saw it pop up on Netgalley with Penguin being the publisher!

I can see why it received the tweets it did. The author wrote this book in a very tasteful manner. When I read some of the "background" to the book, I thought I was going to have a harder time with it, but no way, the book is well and classy written with topics which could be taboo, not being that way AT ALL!!  I must say that for not being a chicklit or women lit liker, I did enjoy this book.

So why not 5 stars you ask?? There are moments of the book that come off too much like "drama central" mainly at the end of the book. It seemed like the author was so careful about not having that happen in the beginning of the book that I was shocked when it popped up towards the end. It was almost as she was quickly trying to end the book. This also led to the book being wrapped up too much with a pretty red ribbon bow, which drives me nuts about chick/womens lit.

Source: Netgalley for publisher

Would I recommend? : Yes

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

No comments:

Post a Comment