Thursday, July 26, 2012

Only One Life by Sara Blaedel



Author: Sara Blaedel

Release date (if applicable): July 3, 2012

Synopsis: When the body of a young Muslim teen is found in submerged with concrete in the waters of a lake, it must be determined if her killing was an honor killing. Louise Rick comes in to investigate the killing. Was it a true honor killing or do the police have it all wrong? When a second killing occurs, they must re investigate everything they thought correct.

My rating: 4 Stars

My opinion:  I had originally reviewed two works by this author that I was less than thrilled with. I thought the storyline was way too bland and used the romance dance to "prop" up the story. There was something underneath all that writing though that hinted that this was an author who was just getting started and better things would be coming.

She proved me right in Only One Life. This book started off as heartbreaking yet downright creepy from page one. The author was able to weave twists and turns into this book, in which, I thought I had it guessed and was totally thrown off balance.

So why the 4 stars instead of 5? There are still moments where this author resorts to use of the romance dance that feels oddly placed or doesn't add to the storyline. Although, this has decreased dramatically, I still have the feeling that it is done to fill space or done by more of a novice author which Sarah Blaedel clearly isn't.

Source: Netgalley for Open Road

Would I recommend? : Absolutely


Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Book 3 of a Series

No comments:

Post a Comment