Thursday, December 27, 2012

Garment of Shadows (Mary Russell Book 12) by Laurie R. King





Book: Garment of Shadows (Mary Russell Book 12)

Author: Laurie R. King

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Mary Russell Holmes and Sherlock Holmes are back in the 12th installment of LRK's best selling series. This time they are found in Morocco with Mary waking up with amnesia and blood on her hands. Sherlock is unable to locate her while dealing with pressing issues of his own, namely a war about to occur. Can Sherlock find Mary and help her unlock the key as to what happened prior to her waking up "with blood on her hands?"

My rating: 2.5 Stars (3 stars on Amazon and Goodreads)

My opinion: While I am a HUGE fan of the Mary Russell series, I simply wasn't a fan of this book. For lovers of historical fiction/mystery, the Mary Russell Holmes series is a must read.

On that note, I found myself very bored not only with the setting of this novel, but with the flow of the novel. The storyline was incredibly slow moving compared to others in the series and I didn't find the characters, minus Holmes and Mary, really approachable or devloped. The friend who actually recommended this series to me, I think,  summed it up beautifully when she stated "there was too much politics in this book and not enough action."

On that note and the reason it was bumped up to 3 stars versus down to 2 stars was of Ms. King's impeccable research into her books. This book was no exception. I always come out learning more about a period of time when Ms. King writes about it. In my opinion, it makes a book much more authentic and Ms. King always takes her readers on that journey. Also, Ms. King has mastered the art of writing in the language of the time, which brings a sense of authenticity to the novel, as well.

Source:  Library     

Would I recommend? : I would recommend the series. I would only recommend this book to continue to understand the relationship between Holmes and Mary for later books to occur in the series.

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Part of Series

 




No comments:

Post a Comment