Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fever by Mary Beth Keane






Book: Fever
 
Author: Mary Beth Keane
 
Release date (if applicable): March 12, 2013

Synopsis: Mary Mallon, a young Irish immigrant, comes to America to live the American dream and is successful by working her way up the domestic ladder to become a cook in some of the wealthiest households of New York. Unfortunately, Mary is a carrier of the Typhoid bacilli and leaves a path of death and illness in her path. Mary is sent to a sanatorium and studied by a less than ethical physician until a lawyer secures her release on the condition that she will never work in a position of cooking again.  Mary, comfortable with the status her experience has allowed her, defies the edict and returns to cooking for the wealthy of New York.
  
My rating: 3 Stars
 
My opinion: This book started off as mouth opening, couldn't put it down, read for me. However, at some point, I felt the author focused too much on Mary Mallon's "personal life" versus the issue, typhoid carrier, that has made her immortal for the "dramatic effect". There were issues the author focused on in her personal life that, for me, I was like "who cares?" 
 
Source: Netgalley for Publisher
     
Would I recommend? : Not sure on this one, it is really iffy for me.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment