Friday, April 5, 2013

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall






Book: Whistling Past the Graveyard
 
Author: Susan Crandall
 
Narrator (if applicable):N/A

Release date (if applicable): July 2nd, 2013

Synopsis: It is the racially segregated, 1963 Southern United States and 9 year old Starla Claudell has had it with her over-bearing grandmother who is raising her because her parents were mere teens when they had her. She has decided to run away after her grandmother threatens to send her to reform school. Precocious Starla is determined to find her parents and to a simpler life. While on the run, she meets a black woman by the name of Eula and her abusive boyfriend. Another twist, Eula is traveling with a white baby boy whom she kidnapped or rescued, depending on whose perspective it comes from. Even through a series of mishaps and close calls, can Eula, on the path to find Starla's parents through the Pre-Civil Rights South deliver her safely AND explain why she is a black woman traveling with two white children?
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: There is something about this time that I really enjoy the literature set during that period. Whistling Past the Graveyard was no exception. This author wrote characters, even the support characters, in ways that were so realistic that I felt I could reach out and touch to the point that I visualized them in my head.  A bonus was that this book flowed so smoothly. It was simply a joyful and fun read. 

There was a part of me that felt this book reminded me of the book The Dry Grass of August in its quality and somewhat, its content.
 
Source:  Netgalley for Gallery Books
   
Would I recommend? : Already have
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone


No comments:

Post a Comment