Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig









Book: The Ashford Affair
 
Author: Lauren Willig
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Family secrets spanning generations and continents come bubbling up in present day when workaholic Clementine Evans attends her grandmother's birthday party.  Addie Gillecote is forced to go live with her wealthy relatives at Ashford Park. It isn't all bad when she develops a deep friendship with her cousin, Bea. Bea continues to protect and care for Addie even taking her to Kenya with her and her new husband. How does Addie repay that kindness? How will it impact generations to come?
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: Gotta say that I went into this book with a bit of trepidation. I am not a fan of Ms. Willig's Pink Carnation series, so I had a bit of fear heading into this one to review. I am thrilled I did. I loved this atmospheric novel and the dark story written mostly beneath the surface with that dark popping up at the best times. Told in two different periods of time yet past secrets impact the present. Although the present story was ok; I simply couldn't get enough of the "historical" story. There was darkness, questionable characters, immorality...oh, it was awesome!
 
Source: St. Martin's Early Reviewer Program
      
Would I recommend? : Yes
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment