Friday, May 24, 2013

The Patron Way: From Fantasy to Fortune - Lessons on Taking Any Business from Idea to Iconic Brand: From Fantasy to Fortune - Lessons on Taking Any Business from Idea to Iconic Brand by Ilana Edelstein





Book: The Patron Way: From Fantasy to Fortune - Lessons on Taking Any Business from Idea to Iconic Brand: From Fantasy to Fortune - Lessons on Taking Any Business from Idea to Iconic Brand 

Author: Ilana Edelstein
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Ilana Edelstein, one of those responsible for bringing Patron to the US market, discusses the history of the company. 
 
My rating: 2 Stars
 
My opinion: I felt that this book belonged more in a memoir genre rather than a business genre. Now, as another Goodreads reviewer already stated, this is not your typical business book. It was rather "spicy" almost what one would find in a gossip rag and gave way too much of the author's personal history with not enough as to what made Patron a successful recognized brand. Not to mention I think that there were a ton of skeezy happenings that did need not be written about. After she wrote this expose, it was then in a two to three page summary that she wrote 10 points with one paragraph expounding of why each point was important. It was very odd.

Also, I felt that this was much more of an infomercial for how great Patron is versus evaluation of a business model. Most of the information given was learned in business school 101.

I know when I seek out McGraw Hill Professional, I am seeking out your traditional business book. Again, I reiterate that this was FAR from it. That is not to say that there were not some lessons to be learned from the book. 


On a final note that I just came across. The author has some really cool pictures on her Amazon page that were not included in the book. Now, I was reading an advance copy, but if they were included in the book, I think I would have had them in my copy.
 
Source: McGraw Hill Professional for review
       
Would I recommend? : Not for branding/marketing business purposes. Looking for a book for teaching young women the importance of business relationships with significant others? This book is for you! I think this author had some very important points on getting business affairs IN WRITING and not trusting a partner (either married or unmarried) to always have your best business interests at heart during a romantic relationship breakup.  I think, as women, we trust our partners way too much and don't keep it business. For that...this author gave an excellent cautionary tale that would have garnered a 4 star rating.  It wasn't the purpose of me reviewing the book, as an MBA with well over a decade in business development/marketing experience, my focus was much more on the marketing/branding aspects.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand alone

2 comments:

  1. Really glad to have read your review. I only just got introduced to the author via the Book report radio show's interview archives (see their website). The interview was alright, but you could immediately tell that this book isn't simply a well written manual to branding success - like you say; more like a memoir. Tis a good thing I like memoirs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy...

      I also thought that they were targeting this book to the wrong audience. I think if they would have done it as a women in business type of book, as she made some HORRIBLE decisions as a business partner (she focused too much on trusting the personal relationship with her partner), this book would have soared.

      Delete