Saturday, January 18, 2014

Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain





Book: Necessary Lies: A Novel
 
Author: Diane Chamberlain
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Ms. Chamberlain catches a glimpse of a very painful, yet little discussed period of time in American history. 

It is the South 1960's, Racism and eugenics is going strong. When Ivy Hart, a epileptic orphaned teen, is forced to care take for her elderly grandmother, her developmentally disabled sister and her 2 year old nephew.  There are those, who due to her epilepsy, don't feel that Ivy is fit to have children and the law is on their side and feel that she should have the same surgery that her sister had. When Ivy becomes pregnant, those feelings are ramped up and the ball is set in motion. Can her newly graduated, naive social worker, Jane Forrester save her from the barbaric practice? How will it effect those around her who feel that Jane is rocking the boat, including her husband and mother?
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: Another rockin' read from Diane Chamberlain. An engrossing story complimented by dynamic character development. There was a tiny bit of revisionist history, which had me arguing with the book and drove me nuts, but still found the book difficult to put down. I ended up reading it in 4 hours.

Diane Chamberlain is one of those authors that always catch my eye when I see a new book come out.  
 
Source: St. Martin's for review
       
Would I recommend? : Yep, she is always an author I recommend.
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment