Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Bellwether Revivals by Benjamin Wood





Book: The Bellwether Revivals
 
Author: Benjamin Wood
 
Narrator (if applicable):n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Middle class, nursing assistant Oscar has done something he shouldn't have. He has fallen for an upper-class Cambridge student, Iris. As Iris brings Oscar into her social circle, he is introduced to her musician/therapist brother, Eden. What secrets do Iris and Eden hold? What is their true agenda for bringing the working class Oscar into their midst? Is it for love or something much more sinister? 
 
My rating: 4 Stars
 
My opinion: I love when I read a debut that is so powerful, so well written, that I will be looking for others by the author. That is what Mr. Wood has provided us. He has provided a mystery that slowly and methodically reveals itself.

Incredibly detailed oriented (a bit too much at times) partnered with fascinating and unique characters made this book difficult for me to put down. To boot, there was a simple poetic nature to the author's writing style that really boosted the book up and had sections of it have a lyrical feeling to the scene descriptions. 

The unique storyline and the complexity of the characters was definitely a plus for me. Frequently I can be bored to tears by flat, "single dimensioned" characters. As characters continued to lay out, one has to wonder if the picture they developed in their head is really the correct one. 
 
Source:  Penguin Group for review
      
Would I recommend? : Yes I have, but particularly to those who enjoy British mystery. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Stand Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment