Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A Clear Conscience (Helen West #5) by Frances Fyfield






Book: A Clear Conscience (Helen West  #5) 
 
Author: Frances Fyfield
 
Narrator (if applicable): n/a

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: Busy Crown Prosecutor, Helen West, can't handle her own apartment cleaning, but can't live with the filth anymore. Hiring a housekeeper should be simple, right? Not so much when the housekeeper appears to be a victim of domestic violence and her brother shows up dead.
 
My rating: 2.5/5 Stars
 
My opinion: Helen West is the newest star of Masterpiece Mysteries. When I saw these books on Edelweiss, I wanted to check them out. After all, this is how I found Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley and Colin Dexter's Inspectors Morse and Lewis. Helen West failed to get my fire started. It wasn't that the writing was horrible. It was simply that it was drier than what I was expecting. I was hoping for a new series, but was left horribly disappointed. I found the characters to be more bland than what I am used to in British mysteries.  What resulted was a story that failed to pull me in and took me a very long time to read a book that I should have finished in less than 2 hours.

I must admit that this was a series that I read out of order purposely. There are series books that I choose to read as "stand alones" to see how character driven a series is. There was a lot of history to the main character, which can affect one's understanding of current happenings in a storyline. That was evident in this book. 

By the way, I wasn't a fan of the series on Masterpiece Mystery and removed them from my DVR, if this means anything.

Source:   Witness Impulse for review
     
Would I recommend? : I would, but read it from the beginning. The books are fairly short. 
 
Stand Alone or Part of a Series: #5 in series

No comments:

Post a Comment