Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Witch of Painted Sorrows: A Novel by MJ Rose


Book: The Witch of Painted Sorrows

Author: MJ Rose

Release date (if applicable): Published

Synopsis: It is the 1880's and Sandrine Salome flees to her courtesan grandmother's home in Paris to escape her abusive husband. It is here that she finds a passion for the art movement of Paris that she is a natural for, as well as her new lover, the engaged Julien DuPlessi. When she becomes possessed by a witch/courtesan from the 1600's, has what she escaped into even more dangerous than her husband?

My rating: 3 stars

My opinion: I must say that this Is not my favorite novel by this dynamic author. While it still had her high quality writing, it still felt as though something was missing. I didn't find it as dark as some of my favorite titles/series of hers. I have to admit that the art focus lost my interest as well.

More than likely I will not continue on with this series, but would still recommend it to readers asking.


Source: Publisher through Netgalley

Would I recommend? : Yes

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: First in series

2 comments:

  1. We all have different things in novels that add something extra or take something away. I related to the art in a photographic way and it added something extra for me. Happy reading. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental Sherry's Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that awesome, Sherry? That is what I love most about MJ's writing. There is nothing cookie cutter to them. The uniqueness of the storylines-how she is able to make aspects in history, particularly in the arts, work for her. Because I love books, more than art, I was more attracted to her works featuring novelists. My mother, who is an artist, would probably love this book and the descriptions MJ gives re: the studios and such.

      Delete